When you buy cannabis online, the THC cannabinoids in flower is available only in THCA until it is exposed decarboxylated.Decarboxylation is the process of exposing cannabis to low heat to convert the non-intoxicating THCA cannabinoid to THC, which provides a high effect. Without decarboxylation, the effects of your edibles may be weak and less appealing.
This decarboxylation process can be quickly done in the home using tools you already have in your kitchen. Below are methods to easily decarboxylate your cannabis at home:
- Decarboxylate in an oven
- Decarboxylate in a mason jar
- Decarboxylate by sous vide
Decarboxylate inan Oven
To decarboxylate your cannabis in an oven, it is essential to note that the dial of ovens fluctuates by 20 or more. It is to advise that you might need to keep an eye on your stash; if it smells like its burning, turn it down. Should you be using your oven regularly for cannabis, an oven thermometer would be a good investment.
- Baking tray
- Aluminium foil
- Cheap Weed
- Carefully set your oven temperature to 107C, and place the rack in the middle position of the oven. That is because the temperature in an oven is ideal in the middle; hotter at the top and colder at the bottom or vice versa.
- Cut out a piece of aluminium foil that can contain the size of cannabis you want to treat and crumply it lightly. Afterwards, lay the cut-out foil over the baking tray; this will minimize the direct exposure of the weed to the baking tray, which is a high conductor of heat, unlike the foil.
- Fairly break the cannabis until it is around the size of a grain of rice; when it is too ground, it increases the cannabis’s risk of burning. Spread the ground cannabis over the aluminium foil and carefully lay another piece of aluminium foil on the top. Place the baking tray on the middle rack and shut the oven door for 45 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and allow it to cool for 30 minutes at average room temperature. At this time the cannabis should look golden brown.
- When it is cool enough to hold, carefully pour your decarboxylated cannabis in a container for proper storage till use.
Decarboxylate by sous vide
While this method will save you the pungent smell of cannabis cooking, it would cost you some cash since you might need to purchase an immersion circulator. Immersion circulators are used to dial in exact temperature which you need to preserve terpenes and flavor while avoiding the smell.
- Immersion circulator
- Container for the immersion circulator (a big pot or a plastic tub will do)
- Vacuum sealer
- Fill your container with hot water and place the immersion circulator inside (follow the manufacturer’s guide for the circulator to know how much water to use). Then set the immersion circulator to 85
- Grind the cannabis smoothly.
- Seal the cannabis flat in a bag; tight enough to minimize air pockets and exploit the surface area.
- Then place the sealed bag into the container for 90 minutes, after which you should carefully remove and let it cool to room temperature for 20 minutes. Dry off the bag, and then pour your decarboxylated cannabis in a container for proper storage till use.
Decarboxylate with a Mason jar
This method effectively minimizes the pungent cannabis smell and prevents the terpenes from evaporating during the process. Also, in this method, it is less likely that you would have burnt cannabis after the procedure.
- Mason Jar
- Baking Tray
- Kitchen Towel
- Some Cheap weed
- Set your oven to 120C and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Break the cannabis till it is around the size of a grain of rice and pour it into the jar and screw the lid lightly.
- Slightly wet the kitchen towel and spread it over the baking sheet then put the Mason jar on the towel.
- Return the baking tray into the oven and allow it to remain for 60minutes. After every 15 minutes, carefully remove the jar and shake it to allow the cannabis to heat evenly.
- After 60 minutes, take the jar out of the oven and let it cool completely before storage.